Thursday, May 2, 2013

It's May! And I'm Raising Awareness on Celiac Disease. Also- A to Z is Over and I'm a Survior


May is Celiac Awareness Month


Celiac Disease is a genetic autoimmune disorder triggered by the digestion of gluten, a protein in wheat, barley and rye. It causes damage to the inner surface of the small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients. Ingesting gluten will make many individuals with celiac disease very sick.


According to National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, an estimated 1 in 141 Americans has celiac disease, yet 83% of those who have it are either undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.

There isn't a cure for celiac disease, however by eliminating gluten, one can effectively manage the disease.

I was diagnosised with celiac disease almost two years ago. Eating a gluten-free diet can be very challenging at times. I think the hardest part is dealing with cross-contamination. Because of my high sensitivity to gluten, I do not allow any gluten in the house and rarely-if ever- eat out. But since I have gone gluten-free, I have felt a million times better. So it is worth it!

Through out the month of May, join me in raising awareness to celiac disease by supporting gluten-free blogger,   wearing green, sporting a gluten-free bracelet or t-shirt, supporting your local gluten-free restaurant, or even sharing a plate of gluten-free cookies.


Also- The A to Z challenge is over...and I survived.



I had so much fun this past month during the A to Z Challenge. And I must admit that I'm very sad that it's over. I really enjoyed everyone's theme and am grateful for everyone who commented and followed my blog. I thank you all!

I am also grateful to Susan Oloier (and Moxie Writers) for joining up with me. With the "Power of Three" we created a theme of teen tough issues and causes.

Again-thank you all for supporting us. I look forward to seeing you all in the blogosphere.

Sources: National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, Mayo Clinic,

7 comments:

Gina Gao said...

Thanks for helping raise awareness for celiac disease. And good job on the A-Z Challenge!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Mary Hill said...

Hi. Will be reading this month. I have inflammatory arthritis. Some say the inflammation levels can be made worse by diet.

J.L. Campbell said...

Wasn't aware of this disease. I'm now wondering just how many people have and don't know what's happening to them.

A Beer for the Shower said...

I know quite a few people that have this, and it's cool to see all of the gluten free food/drinks they have available. I even got to try a gluten free beer that actually wasn't bad.

So I imagine it's not a fun disease to have (is any?), but it's nice to know that there's plenty of good alternatives out there to cater to people's needs.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Gino- Thanks :)
@Mary- I hear that too. And I also hear that Gluten causes inflammation.
@Joy- it is becoming more and more common here in the US.
@Beer for the Shower- I agree- and esp. when you live here in Colorado...so many choices and so many great products that are local. I hear in some areas it is harder to find great choices.

Mark Means said...

Great point, Rebecca...when I first met my wife, she had some severe allergies, so I had to make sure not to eat shrimp before we smooched. It's something a lot of us don't think about.

Very nice to meet you through the Challenge and I really appreciate you always stopping by and commenting through my crazy A to Z theme :D

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Mark- it was great to meet and get to know you through the challenge, too! I had such fun with your superhero topic (I'm a big superhero fan!)