Monday, June 24, 2013

There Should Be a Rule

I really think there should be a rule against getting sick in the summer...it just shouldn't happen! I spent all of last week laid up on my couch with a low grade fever. And the heat wasn't helping me any. It was nearly 90 degrees most of the week.

The good thing about being sick and stuck on the couch? I had every excuse to catch up on movie watching. I rented a bunch of movies and curled up with a pillow and lots of coconut water.





 I enjoyed this movie but didn't love it. I thought the premise was great and enjoyed the acting, yet I thought something was missing. I don't think things were clear and the story got boring at times. But...I really loved the ending. And in the end, I was glad I watched it.






Because I loved the premise of the movie, I decided to pick up the book. I felt it was much better...and not just because it's a book. I have liked the movie over the book many, many times. But this was a case where the book was just better. I liked the voice, and once again, I really loved the ending.


 I though I'd pick this movie up and see what it was all about. I was glad I did. It was very enjoyable. I easily get sucked into sweet love stories with a little magic.









I enjoyed the movie, so I decided to pick up the book. I am reading it now. I will let you know what I think.









 I am not a huge Zombie fan...not really...although I love the Walking Dead (Both the graphic novels and the AMC show) But I thought this would be an interesting twist on the Zombie apocalypse, and I was right. It was enjoyable, and crazy enough, I cared for R immediately. The story was a very fun look on the overwritten zombie theme.







 I liked R as a character and am curious how Issac Marion wrote him in the novel. I am planning on picking up this book next. I love that it all started with a short story on his website. Great story in itself!










I watched this movie last night...my last hurrah before I need to re-focus myself and get back to work. This was interesting...I enjoyed it.







I saw a few other movies...but nothing to write home about!

If you get a chance to relax, watch a movie! But please don't get sick...having a cold and fever in the summer time is miserable. It really should be a rule that you can't get sick in the summer!!!

Stay healthy and Enjoy-
Rebecca

21 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

Sorry to hear you were sick! I felt exactly the same about Silver Linings, I expected to love it more than I did. I didn't even know it was a book but now I'm curious to read that.

Glad you're feeling better now.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Julie- Thanks! :) Yeah, the book was better. I still felt it was slow in places, but the voice was great.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Summer illness is the worst! Hope you feel better. Watching movies is what I do as well. I am curious about Warm Bodies.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Alex- They are the worst! Hate them...! You should check it out- I thought it was pretty good.

A Beer for the Shower said...

The last time I was sick I was 12. So either I have a super immunity or I'm going to soon get bum-rushed by about 10 sicknesses at once. Either way, sorry to hear you were sick.

I thought the previews for Warm Bodies looked kind of stupid, but I've heard a lot of people say they enjoyed it, so I might have to reconsider watching/reading that one.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Bear For the Shower- Hmm...you may have just jinxed yourself...or maybe it's the beer- kills the germs- who knows. Well, let me know what you think of Warm Bodies. I thought it looked dumb too, but I was sick and curious...it didn't disappoint (or I was too sick to notice)

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

I've heard a lot of good things about Warm Bodies. Definitely on my to-watch list.

Dana said...

I hope you're feeling better now. Summer colds are the worst.

Jeff Hargett said...

You're absolutely correct. There should be a rule against summer sickness. Winter, spring and fall too for that matter. I actually haven't seen ANY of those movies. Toyed with the idea of catching Warm Bodies, but decided I'd wait for the DVD. :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Charlie-Hope you enjoy

@Dana- Feeling better...thanks

@Jeff- I agree- should be a rule against sickness in general! Definitely a DVD pick...but I thought it was a fun take on zombies. Might be worth a buck to rent.

Mark Means said...

As a general rule, I think books are much better than movies. They allow for more detail then in a two hour film.

Just saw Beautiful Creatures last week and found it 'o.k.'.

Let us know how you enjoy the books :)

Jessica Schley said...

Second recommendation for SILVER LININGS I've gotten in less than twelve hours. Done. B&N gave away free e-copies earlier this summer and it's been on my nook for weeks. Guess I know what I'm going to next!

Livia Peterson said...

I hope you're feeling better, Rebecca! I love watching movies! I usually see films at the movie theatre, but I didn't see Warm Bodies and Beautiful Creatures.

I LOVED Silver Linings Playbook! Jen Lawrence did an excelllent job in it! I thought Side Effects was good, but not great. It kept me guessing what will happen next and in suspense.

I highly recommend seeing Cloud Atlas and Now You See Me. Those are fantastic movies!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Mark- I love both movies and books for different reasons and love to see how the screen writer adapts the novel. I'll let you know on the books...details are always better for sure.

@Jessica- Let me know what you think!

@Livia- Feeling much better than last week! :) Thanks! I will check out Cloud Atlas and Now You See Me- can't wait to see another good movie.

Robin said...

Sorry to hear that you have been ill. That is never any fun. I don't like it any better in the winter:(

Sounds like you have watched some good films and got in some interesting reading. For the record, I just about always like the book better. It is very difficult for a movie to top the book IMO.

Morgan said...

Oh my gosh... right??? We all have strep right now... AWFUL... I hope YOU feel better soon! :/

Mark said...

I agree with your rule, excellent idea:) Thanks for the review on Silver Linings as well, I want to see that one.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Rebecca,

So sorry to hear you were sick. I agree.... getting sick in the summer really bites it!

At least you kept yourself VERY busy. I don't think I have seen that many movies all year! LOL.

Hope you're feeling better and thanks for the reviews!

Susan Oloier said...

I'm sorry you were so sick, Rebecca. That is one of the bennies of being on the couch for me, too. I tried reading Beautiful Creatures, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again.

Unknown said...

When u want a ur dreams car then fulfilled ur dreams this site. U can visit this site more new model car find on this site.
Thanks this post...
MiamiChrysler

Jackie said...

Totally agree re Silver Linings.. It just felt messy and uncomfortable.