Monday, May 21, 2012

My Road to Publishing Continues


In the fall of 2010, I pitched one of my completed novels. The first 30 pages were requested and I panicked. I wasn't sure why at the time, but nothing about the process felt right for me. Hoping it would be rejected, I placed the manuscript in the drawer and opened a new document instead, starting my next story.


 A year later, (and with another finished manuscript,) I found myself at a presentation done by The Writing School. (http://thewritingschool.org/) During this presentation I was introduced to talk of the increase in independent publishing and e-books.  I walked away thinking maybe this was for me.

That's when my research began.(And my excitement rose!)

And it hasn't stopped. Choosing which route to publish isn't an easy one. There are many reasons to publish either traditionally or independently. And those reasons may continue to change as the publishing industry changes. Ultimately which route to choose is a personal one.

I am excited to head down the road of independent publishing. For me, right now, it is the best route. (In continuing with the cliche metaphors...)When I come to a fork in the road, I may have to re-evaluate, and when I do, my path may change...but until then...

I am continuing to learn about the exciting world of e-Publishing. This evening, I had the opportunity to listen to a presentation given by The Writing School and Elle Lothlorien, the best selling e-book author of  The Frog Prince and Sleeping Beauty.

Elle shared her e-Publishing story with a crowd of approximately 25 to 30 inspiring and/or newly published authors. Upbeat and with energetic humor, she explained her not-so-planned out path to success.

By maintaining her rights and creative control, Elle has been able to effectively market her books and herself. (Some of her marketing decisions were done in less than 24 hours from idea to implementation. Such as the time she decided to release her books for free for Valentine's Day the night before during dinner.) She discussed her approach to the continually changing market. She also told humorous tales of her journey through the process.

Her stories on e-publishing continued for over two hours and past closing time. In the end, the library staff had to kick everyone out. I don't think anyone in the room felt we had enough time.

It was a pleasure to meet Elle Lothlorien. I look forward to hearing more from her and to see what she does next. Listening to her talk helped validate my decision to independently publish my books.

I know that taking on self-publishing means that I have to do everything...either by myself or hire someone...from the writing- to editing- to formatting- to cover art- to distribution- to marketing- to gaining reader- to....the list goes on and on. Sounds exhausting...and although I'm nervous about it all, I am ready...!

You can find Elle Lothlorien on:

http://www.ellelothlorien.com/ 
https://twitter.com/#!/ElleLothlorien
http://www.facebook.com/ElleLothlorien 















3 comments:

Susan Oloier said...

Hi Rebecca,
I absolutely agree that the writing/publishing path of each author is very personal.
I, personally, enjoy doing everything. But then I like the control situations whenever possible. It's been a lot of work (still is), but I think it's well worth it for me. I am just hoping to reach a tipping point one day where I don't have to work so hard at the marketing aspect (my least favorite).
I'm glad you were inspired by Elle's talk, and I always support writers who take the Indie path. I look forward to seeing your books in print and reading them.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Susan,

Hello! Thank you for your comments. Elle was a great speaker and I enjoyed her talk. It is always great to hear others stories who have taken the indie path and are happy about their decision. I am excited about doing everything myself- from writing to cover art to formatting to...well, you know- even though it can be daunting at times. It seems like the right direction for me for so many reasons.

It has been wonderful to meet other authors like you who have been down, or are heading down, this exciting adventurous path of self-pub. Thank you for sharing your stories. I can't wait to hear more.

Rebecca

Elle Lothlorien said...

Thanks for the kind comments! Always a delight to speak at a Writing School function. Hope to see you in June, and best of luck on your exciting journey!