Thursday, October 4, 2012

"The Next Big Thing"



I was tagged this week by my writer friend, the amazing and talented Susan Oloier for "The Next Big Thing".
Susan Oloier talked about her upcoming book and work-in-progress, Outcast.  I am intrigued by the story and can't wait for it to come out. Make sure you head on over to her blog and check out her answers to the questions.

The rules for “The Next Big Thing” are simple: answer a few questions about your book and tag more people who write, whose current WIPs you want to hear more about!
So here goes...


What is the working title of your book?

Break From You

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I almost hate to admit it because it sounds so cliché but the story came from a dream I once had. I dreamed about a girl who was saved from a fire and an abusive relationship by a cowboy. The dream stuck with me and after a couple of years, I started forming it into a story about a young teen and dating abuse.


What genre does your book fall under?

YA Contemporary Fiction

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I have never thought about this before. My characters are so developed in my head this question is hard for me. I guess if I had to choose, I might pick Logan Lerman for Drew because he has his look, but as for Cooper and Brooke, I have no idea. (I just looked all over the internet and no one stood out to me…) I think maybe some unknown, up and coming star would work great.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

When seventeen year old Brooke Myers’ finds herself falling for the boy who saved her from a burning building the night of homecoming, she is forced to reevaluate her relationship with her abusive boyfriend and face the ghosts in her past.



Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Break From You will be independently published and is projected to be released this fall. (Coming soon...)

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Writing the first draft of Break From You didn’t take long, maybe three or four months, but the editing has taken much longer. I have learned a lot along the way about critiquing and critique groups. It was great to find some great critique partners and beta readers. I have also taken some time to learn about the publishing world, social networking, blogging, and marketing.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Break From You is an intense story about dating abuse. I guess I would compare it to other stories like Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Hate List and Bitter End by Jennifer Brown, Dreamland by Sarah Dessen, or But I Love Him by Amanda Grace. All of these stories are about intense, tough issues.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I am inspired everyday by the powerful stories of those who have prevailed and am continually devastated by reports of those who have lost their lives to dating violence.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Break From You is an emotional story about dating abuse.

Here is an excerpt...

Break From You

My head was throbbing and it took all I had to concentrate on what he was saying as he rambled on. We were supposed to be having fun. It was supposed to be the night of our lives.

“Everything’s perfect, isn’t it?” he asked. His words were barely audible over the constant hum of conversation from the other diners seated near us in the old log restaurant. A smile filled his face, but I couldn’t reciprocate. Perfect? We were far from perfect.

I questioned why I had even come, why I let him convince me once again.

It was like I was drowning in fear.

“Look around us,” he said with more enthusiasm than before.

Breaking my gaze from his, I scanned the room. Other homecoming couples filled the adjacent tables, looking flawless and blissful. Girls had their hair in up-dos and boys wore ties the color of their date’s dress. It might have been magical if I hadn’t just had the day from hell.


TAG IT UP!

And on to the last step of the game: Here are a few authors whose latest books and/or WIPs I would like to hear more about…



Their questions will be the same as mine:

What is the working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or What inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?


What is everyone currently working on??

9 comments:

Susan Oloier said...

I love your one-sentence synopsis...and, of course, the snippet from the book.
I plan to email you today. I have a question for you.
Susan

Kendra Merritt said...

Awesome fun!

Patrick K Dwason said...

Very interesting - I guess I am on the hook now:) Can't wait for your book release. Kendra better keep going on her publication...loved the YA read.

David P. King said...

All of my best ideas came from dreams. Cliche or not, it works for me. And thanks for joining my blog. I gave you a Shout-Out today. :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

I guess our imaginations just never shut off- right? Thank you so much for the shout-out! Looking forward to hearing more about your WIP! Keep writing!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Yes, you're on the hook! Can't wait to see your new book in print.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thank you so much!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to reading your post.

Amanda Fanger said...

Thanks so much for the tag! Sorry I missed it the first time around :)

http://www.amandafanger.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-next-big-thing.html