Tuesday, July 24, 2012

We Will Remember

I am deeply saddened by last Friday's devastating events at the movie theater in my neighboring town, Aurora. My heart goes out to all of those affected by this senseless act.  Words will never come close to expressing the pain and fear everyone is experiencing.

I am having trouble wrapping my mind around something so horrible. And I ask myself how something like this could happen.

It was supposed to be a fun night at the movies. People enjoying the opening show of a long anticipated film. But that fun, relaxing night quickly turned into a horrible nightmare when a mad gunman entered the theater and opened fire.

Lives were changed. Lives were lost.

I have attended many midnight showings of long anticipated films. I can't tell you how much fun it is to meet up with a couple of friends, wait in long lines so that you get halfway decent seats, fight back sleep, and be one of the first to see the film. My friends and I have had a lot fun at these midnight showings. We will share our stories about those nights for a long time.

Again, I ask myself how something so horrible could happen.

But it's not just the theater.

Not all that long ago, not all that far from Aurora,  Coloradans endured another senseless tragedy at a local high school. The events that unfolded that day back in April of 1999, like those that happened last week, have forever changed our trust, our beliefs, our lives.

I want to believe that we are safe when we head off to the theater at night. I want to believe that our children are safe when we send them off to school in the morning. I want to believe that we are safe when we head off to work.

I want to believe that we are safe.

I have so many questions...how could this happen? Why did this happen? Who could do something like this? How can we stop it from happening again? But even as I start to learn about the events that night and the man behind the horrible shootings, I realize that the biggest question I will always have is...

How do I keep myself, my friends, my family safe from such horrible acts in everyday life?

And can I?

Please hug those around you and tell them you love them!







My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the Aurora theater shootings. We will always remember.

No comments: