Monday, March 25, 2013

My So-Called Teenage Life



Today I'm in joining in on the 2nd annual My So-Called Teenage Life blog hop hosted by christaramblesandwrites.blogspot.com

The rules:
Step One: Sign up
Step Two: Dust off those old sappy diaries bursting with teenage angst or high school notebooks filled with bad poetry*
Step Three: Skim through them until you find something share-worthy
Step Four: On Monday, March 25 POST IT on your blog
Optional: We love seeing old photos, so if you have one lying around of you as a teen, post that, too. 
(*Didn't write in a journal or compose poetry as a teenager? Have no fear! Counterfeit entries are welcome. Pretend you're a teenager and write whatever you feel. Just make sure you're using your teenage voice. And if you're still a teenager, hey, you're going to basically rock this blog hop.) 
So here goes!

I wrote regularly in a diary growing up, and although I continued to journal throughout high school, I spent a lot of time writing poetry in those teenage years. I was very dramatic, emotional, mostly positive, and sometimes dark and edgy. Here is one of those (more positive) poems...

To Live

To whisper is to dream,
To hear is to realize,
And to feel it all is to believe.

A flower comes into a hazy world.
It comes in without hesitating.

With each petal it feels sure and confident
as if it can handle anything.

And each storm blows in.
And each rain drop falls.

It may lose a petal here or there,
Or it may tear a leaf.

But it stays strong,
And holds itself up with all the strength it feels.

And the flower makes it through,
Not knowing what each day brings,
Or if a storm in the future will make it fall.

The flower keeps its strongest feelings,
And all its dreams held close

Because to feel it all is believe,
And to believe is to live.
 
Love, Forever Always, Rebecca Green (1992)









Did you write in a diary/journal, or some poetry during your teenage years? 


Hope you enjoyed!
This is a blog hop, so make sure you take some time and check out the other bloggers joining in on the fun!

27 comments:

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

This is all kinds of awesome, Rebecca. Very deep! ha ha ha! I'm so glad you joined the blog hop. Thanks so much for posting. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And you are as strong as that flower!

Janet Johnson said...

Very nice! I never had enough courage to write poetry, so I admire you. And I LOVE the drama of it all. :)

Alexis Bass said...

Awww, I love this. I wrote one poem as a teen and didn't even care enough to save it. This is fantastic, I'm so glad you shared.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Why- thanks! I was so...well...insightful at that age (or at least I thought I was) This has been such a fun blog hop- everyone's stories are soooo great! :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

You are way too sweet! Thanks, Alex! :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

And at that age- I thought I was soooo good at the poetry... oh well. so fun to share the old stuff. Will have to share more in the future.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks! :) -from my teenage self...

Carrie-Anne said...

Very beautiful poem! It's very deep and emotional.

Dana said...

Aw, nice poem—and what a great message!

Andrea said...

Hey! Not fair, as that one is really good!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks:)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

:) Thanks...I was all for messages through metaphors as a teen.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks :) My teenage self would be gushing right now...

Coleen Patrick said...

I wrote in a diary from the 8th grade thru college. Some of it is funny, others not so much. LOL I love how positive your poem is!! :)

Sherry Ellis said...

I really never wrote in a journal - but I loved to write stories! I like your poem!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks...a lot of my poems were very dark and not so positive- had to search for this one.

Melodie Wright said...

I kept a journal but wasn't much for poetry. I had no idea flowers had dreams and feelings, tho...;)

Jeannette said...

What a positive, inspiring poem! I never wrote ANYTHING happy, ever, ever, so my teenage self is a little jealous at such a rosy (haha, pun intended) outlook. :)

Marianne said...

Isn't it a stitch how serious we all took ourselves back then? LOVE THIS!!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Yeah, well...you never know :)Lol!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

:) Love it! and thanks.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Too funny- I agree :)

Jackie said...

This is so cool to have this from the teen years!

Michael Di Gesu said...

That was really beautiful Rebecca.


I did a bit of poetry in middle school, but art was more my thing back then.

Susan Oloier said...

I love how positive this poem is, especially for the teen years. You even loved flowers back then. That's awesome!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

A lot of my poems were very dark...I had to search a little for this one. Every once in a while I'd write something positive and meaningful- or at least I thought it was meaningful when I was 16ish...Lol! :)