Thursday, March 14, 2013

Someone's Always There

When you think there's no escape
And you feel like a prisoner of the rain
Just turn around
There will be someone there with a smile on their face

When the anger rushes in
And holds you down
With a chain of steel
Don't worry,
Someone will be there with a key

When there's too much joy to hold inside
There will be someone there to share it

No matter how you feel
There will always be someone for you to comfort your thoughts...

You just have to open your eyes and look.

Rebecca Green
May 1990

I wrote that when I was a "very emotional and dramatic" teenager. (Although I still admit to being pretty emotional--especially in my writing--some things never change.) This piece reminded me of how, as a teenager, sometimes I felt like no one was there for me, like I was all alone in this big crazy world.

This piece was a reminder that no matter how alone I felt there was someone there for me, as long I was willing to look. Whether it be a parent, a teacher, a friend, sometimes it's just a matter of turning around and opening up your arms to let them in.

There are so many places to go for help...sometimes we just need a reminder that they are out there.

I'm sure a lot of you know that I'm co-contributor over at Moxie Writers...but just in case you didn't, I wanted to let you know (or remind you) of a fun and wonderful site. Susan Oloier (author of Superstitions, Fractured, My Life as a Misfit, and Outcast) and I started up Moxie Writers last fall. Our mission is to speak out, raise awareness, advocate for parents and teens, and provide information and places to go when someone feels alone.

If you haven't already...head on over, check it out, and say hi. We share personal stories, news stories, connect teen issues with books, movies, music, art, and so much more.

Moxie- (n. slang) The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage. Force of character, determination, or verve.

Moxie WritersCover photo

 
Moxie Writers
Where YA comes to life. Blogging about tough teen issues using YA books, movies, music, &more. moxie- (n. slang) To face difficulty with spirit and courage.

Co-authored by: Susan Oloier, author of Fractured, My Life as a Misfit, Superstitions, and Outcast. And Rebecca Green Gasper author of Break From You.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the 'younger, agnstier' you! :-) Love the Moxie Writers as well!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Aww...thanks :) Lol! And thanks for supporting Moxie Writers!

Dana said...

I like the poem, too—and what an important message!

Happy Thursday. .☺

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks, Dana!

Mark Means said...

A great reminder that, no matter how alone we think we are, there's always someone watching out for us.

Great post.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Yes, we just have to remember to look and let him/her in. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Cherie Reich said...

Lovely poem! And that's great even the teen you knew someone was there.

Demitria said...

Will definitely be checking it out :)



New follower.....http://demitrialunetta.blogspot.com/

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Thanks :)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Welcome, it's great to meet you! Hope to see you over at Moxie Writers. :)

LTM said...

That's a wonderful poem, and it's good to know that even though you were emotional and dramatic, you knew you weren't alone. You're doing a good thing w/Moxie Writers. All best to you~ <3