Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C-Cutting/Self-Injury and Characters in YA Books




utting and self-injury





Cutting and self-injury/self-harm is the act of deliberately harming your own body, most commonly by cutting or burning. It is not typically a suicide attempt, but rather, an unhealthy way to cope with emotional pain, intense anger, and/or frustration.

Cutting and self-harm is an addictive behavior. It is unknown how many teens self-harm because those who self-harm go to extremes to hide it. 

Here are some characters from books that focus on cutting and self-harm.


 Callie from Cut by Patricia McCormick cuts herself. Never too deep, never enough to die. But enough to feel the pain. Enough to feel the scream inside.










 Kendra from Scars by Cheryl Rainfield is a sexual abuse survivor, cuts to cope with the pain, but when Kendra's abuser starts threatening her, she must find a way to face her past and stop hurting herself--before it's too late.







 Willow from Willow by Julia Hoban  blocks the pain of losing her parents by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she begins an intense, life-changing relationship that turns her world upside down.








Don't forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.

16 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

This is an issue I know very little about so I'm interested in the books. Great topic for you guys to address.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I've read about this ... So sad hat a teen goes to such levels to cope in their world.... Life is difficult enough without hurting yourself... Let 's hope they get the help they need... Again, AWARENESS is the key!

Morgan said...

I agree with Michael above me... awareness is the key!!!!!

Unknown said...

You have no idea how much I see this(I work in psychiatry)

Carol Kilgore said...

I just came from Susan's blog. Great job!

Nancy Thompson said...

A very interesting and unique topic for C. I'm reading a book right now that has a young boy who cuts himself.

New follower via the A2Z! (currently #147)

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Love the way y'all hooked up to do these topics together! - Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Coleen Patrick said...

I like how you're using these YA themes for the A to Z challenge, Rebecca. Great idea!

Andrew Leon said...

I've had to deal with this in teens I've worked with. Very sad.

D.E. Malone said...

Books on this topic and other issues are so important for kids to have access to. Thanks for pointing out a few of these titles.

Dana Martin said...

I just met a young girl who showed me her scars. I said, "You're a cutter?" and she replied, "I used to be." I am now mentoring her in writing and in life. What a blessing for me.

Thanks for these great topics. :)

See you tomorrow for "D."

Dana
Waiter, drink please!


Tara Tyler said...

you & susan are doing a great service, spreading awareness of these issues no one wants to talk about. thank you!

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying your A-to-Z theme! See you later for "D"!

Barbara White Daille said...

This seems to happen more often now. Is it just because it wasn't talked about much, or is it from teens feeling more pressure now?

Barbara
D is for: Deadlines
The Daille-y News

Cheryl said...

Thanks so very much, Rebecca, for mentioning Scars in your list of YA books about self-harm; I so appreciate it! I think it's so important for teens (and adults) to talk about, so people know they're not alone, and can get support, and so others can have a bit more compassion. I felt so alone and in so much pain when I was a teen...and I couldn't find a book on self-harm any where, and not much on sexual abuse or being queer, either. Writing Scars was my way of breaking silence, of trying to help others understand, and helping others know they're not alone...

Unknown said...

Those are 3 great books you suggested. It here's an updated 2013 list here: http://www.cuttingdepression.net/books-about-self-harm/