Thursday, April 18, 2013

P-Pregnancy and Characters From YA Books



regnancy




Most teens do not plan on getting pregnant...but many do. Pregnancy can cause many different emotional reactions for both the teens and their parents.

Here are some characters from YA books that are forced to deal with teen pregnancy...




Mandy Kalinowski from How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr understands what it's like to grow up unwanted -- to be raised by a mother who never intended to have a child. So when Mandy becomes pregnant, one thing she's sure of is that she wants a better life for her baby. It's harder to be sure of herself.







Devon Davenport from After by Amy Efew straight-A student-athlete with everything going for her. But in a moment of denial, desperation, and sheer panic, she did something that most people couldnÕt even imagine.








 Scarlett from Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen learns that her boyfriend has been killed in a motorcycle accident, and that she's carrying his baby.









Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.

11 comments:

Michael Di Gesu said...

This happens more often than we think.

I find it a bit disturbing when a few years ago there was so show on TV that featured a group of teen girls ALL deciding to get pregnant at the same time.

Scary thought. But perhaps it had happened. This may be based on a true story. I'm not sure. But the concept is just unbelievable. VERY FEW Teens, if any are emotionally prepared to raise a child. Many love and want their children but the realities of life could never truly prepare them for such a HUGE responsibility. Not to mention the overwhelming expense.

Dana said...

I've added the Dessen book to my TBR. Sounds great!

Julie Flanders said...

Wow, poor Scarlett in Dessen's book! :(

Unknown said...

Those sound like fantastic reads! Very powerful, too.

Shere said...

I just found you via AtoZ challenge (i'm also taking part). I have to say that I'm the daughter of a teen couple (17 and 15) and I was mostly raised by my grandmother. It's difficult to see the figure of a mother in someone that is not so much older than you. In fact, the age difference between me and my sisters is bigger than between me and my mother :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Children having children...

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Michael- so devastating to see all those teen pregnancy packs. So very sad. I am glad that it is being brought to the forefront and awareness is being raised. So important.

@Dana, Julie, and EJ- They are great books that raise awareness on an important subject and hopefully will help start the conversation. They are also enjoyable reads :)

@Shere- so great to meet you. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I will head over and check out your blog.

@Alex- yes they are just kids themselves...so much to learn and grow.

Jessica Schley said...

I will definitely have to check out these other books-the Dessen and Zarr have been on my TBR for AGES and ages.

I would also add to this list THE PREGNANCY PROJECT even though it's nonfiction (memoir). Gripping read, and a really interesting discussion of the stereotyping, especially for a minority teen who is pregnant.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Jessica- I will add that to my list. Sounds like a great read. Thank you :)

Andrea said...

My son has seen 4 pregnant girls at his high school this year. Somehow I think the visual of the reality hit him more than me just saying it could happen.

M said...

Unfortunately I have taught too many children of teenagers...they usually end up being raised by grandma...very sad.
Happy A-Z April!