Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T-Teen and Tattoos and Characters From YA Books




eens and Tattoos






Teens feel that tattoos are a form of self-expression, a way to show their uniqueness and individuality.

Some adults feel that teens with tattoos are rebels, immature, or unprofessional.

Here are some characters from YA books known for their tattoos...



Dru from Linked by Ink by Julie Kimbrell has a lot going on--her job, her crappy car, her determination to ace every test that can get her into a college. She has no time for guys, especially one who works in a tattoo parlor. But there he stands with her muffler in his hand.







 Bailey Morgan from Tattoo by Jennifer Lynn Barnes and her friends get more than just a temporary tattoo. With the tattoo comes great power.








 Jackie from Inked by Scott Neumyer isn't looking for love, but when she meets George, tattoos wearing bad boy, everything changes. Inked is a 6,000 word short story.









Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not a fan of tattoos.

Dana said...

I like tattoos, although I don't have any.

Thanks for the book recommendations. :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

In the excellent Mercy Thompson series of urban fantasies by Patricia Briggs, Mercy has a tattoo of a coyote paw print beneath her navel, proclaiming her identity as a Walker who can shift into a coyote.

She is frail but proud existing in a world of werewolve, vampires, and fae -- and a Volkswagon mechanic! Yes Mercedes is a Volkswagon mechanic! :-)

Mark said...

Also popular a few years later...tattoo removal;) My favorite tattoos are the Polynesian ones actually:)

Rhonda Parrish said...

I love tattoos... but I usually have a tough time finding them super believable on young people in fiction. Mostly, I think, because they usually have beautiful professional tattoos and around here you can't get that until you're 18 LOL

PK HREZO said...

These sound so cute. I got a tattoo when I was 20 and it was a rite of passage for me. I've always loved it over the years, and considered another. :) My kids aren't allowed to get any til they're 18 tho.

Tonja Drecker said...

Thank you! You just gave my character the nice, sharp edge she needed.
But as for my kids, no tatoos until they're 18. Then they can get as many as they want and I won't say a word. Promise :)

Andrea said...

I am fascinated by the inspiration for some people's tatoos (as well as the financial investment)

Jeff Hargett said...

Tattoos are just so...permanent. But they are much more common (and artistic) than in decades past though.

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I'm not a fan of tattoos either. Had my parents allowed me, I would have had a dolphin tattooed on my ankle when I was younger. THANK GOD they put their foot down. ;)

Kendra Merritt said...

You should also check out Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr. It wasn't one of my favorite books but I loved the premise.