Monday, April 22, 2013

S-Suicide and Characters From YA Books



uicide





Suicide is a serious public health issue. It is the third leading cause of death among youth ages 10-24 and is the cause of even more self-inflicted injuries that require emergency room visits since more individuals survive an attempt.

Risk factors for suicide include: history of previous attempt, family history of suicide, history of depression or other mental illness, alcohol or drug abuse, stressful life event or loss, easy access to lethal methods, exposure to the suicidal behavior of others, incarceration.

Here are some characters from books who deal with suicide...



Clay Jensen from Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.






Owen, Frank, Audrey, and Jin-Ae from Crash into Me by Albert Borris have one thing in common: they all want to die. When they meet online after each attempts suicide and fails, the four teens make a deadly pact: they will escape together on a summer road trip to visit the sites of celebrity suicides...and at their final destination, they will all end their lives.




 

Daelyn Rice from By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Ann Peters is broken beyond repair, and after a string of botched suicide attempts, she’s determined to get her death right.  She starts visiting a website for “completers”— www.through-the-light .com. 







Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.
 

 Sources: www.cdc.gov, mayoclinic.com, kidshealth.org, nami.org

16 comments:

Jenny said...

This is such an important topic, especially in Colorado where we have such a high suicide rate. Thanks for the book recommendations.

Jenny at Choice City Native

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Suicide is so sad. Things really will get better with time and there is always another way out.

Brandon Ax said...

It is one of the sadder things to think of someone giving up that much. I also worry how numb some people are becoming to it.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh, the website for "completers" gives me the chills. It's always sad when anyone commits suicide, but for young people to feel so hopeless is just too tragic for words.

Jackie said...

So sad. If they could only understand that things do get better. :/

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Jenny- I just can't believe how high the rate is here in CO. I am glad CO now has a chapter of the AFSP. They are doing some amazing things to raise awareness locally.

@Alex and Jackie- I agree. But sometimes "they" don't know there is a another way...or feel that there isn't...so important to know the signs.

@Brandon- I sure hope people are not being numb to it...that is sad.

@Julie- I have not heard of Completers- but I have heard of sites like it...so very sad.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So sad that anyone considers suicide, but it is so much worse when it's a kid. They aren't supposed to start all the troubles and pressures of life until they're adults. Thanks for sharing about this important issue.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Natalie- depression is a major issue and it starts as early as 14. I agree- so very sad and so important to talk about.

PK HREZO said...

Always a tough subject. I havent read these books yet but I'm sure they're tear jerkers.

Dana said...

Such a serious topic. I think it's good that people are writing these books and making teens aware.

Mark Means said...

I never knew the age range was so young. That's extremely sad.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Mark- I hate to hear the stories of those who are so very young...so so sad.

http://mary-anderingcreatively.blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you for addressing this serious issue in a way that will impact teens. I love the books you highlighted and plan to put them on my list of most reads. By the way, I have nominated you for a Liebster Award.

Mary Hill

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Mary- thank you so much! That is so very sweet of you and I am honored that you thought of me and nominated me :) best to you. And so nice to meet you!

Andrea said...

I just borrowed a book with this topic from a friend (too lazy to go find the name...pitiful)...might be too nervous to read it. Such a terrifying thought!

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

@Andrea- let me know the title...i will add it to my list.