Monday, April 8, 2013

G- Gun Violence and Characters From YA Books



uns, Youth Violence



Youth violence can include bullying, slapping, pushing, or be as serious as assault and result in murder. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the five leading causes of death among teenagers are Accidents (unintentional injuries), homicide, suicide, cancer, and heart disease, with accidents accounting for nearly one-half of all teenage deaths. Homicide is the second leading cause of death among youth, and a  major cause of non-fatal injuries.

Although less than 2% of all homicides among school-age children happen on school grounds (cdc.gov,) teen violence is still a major issue. There are many causes of teen violence, and most of that violence takes place without guns, in the form of fights and bullying away from school. According to the Centers for Disease Control the first step in preventing school violence is to understand the extent and nature of the problem. For more information about this topic, please visit cdc.gov.

Here are some characters from books that deal with gun violence/youth violence/school shootings...



Valerie Leftman from Hate List by Jennifer Brown was shot trying to stop her boyfriend, Nick, when he opened fire on their school cafeteria. She inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.






Gray Wilton from End Game by Nancy Garden is looking for a new start, but it doesn’t take long for him to realize that there are bullies in every school, and he’s always their punching bag. Their abuses escalate until Gray feels trapped and alone. He has no power at all until he enters the halls of Greenford High School with his father’s semiautomatic in hand.









Don't Forget about the power of three!!!

Head over to Moxie Writers for more on the YA cause/tough issue and organizations that help.

Head over to Susan Oloier's site for a song and lyrics that pertain to today's issue.


13 comments:

Aurora Smith said...

GUess what? I share your anti bullying passion. I'm writing a book right now that deals with bullying! Thought that would make you smile!

Julie Flanders said...

When I think back to when I was in high school in the 80s, I never could have imagined then that in the not so distant future gun violence would become such a tragic issue in the schools. Still kind of hard to believe what it has come to. Heading over to Susan's site now. :)

Cathy said...

Super theme! Informative and relevant. I'll read all of your posts. Stopping by from the A-Z and I am a new follower.

Dana said...

I agree with Julie. When I was in school, this didn't seem like an issue. It's sad.

PK HREZO said...

Wow you know my best friend and I had a hate list when we were in college. It was pretty mid, but still, what a reminder!

Andrea said...

I saw this on another blog today and thought it might interest you...http://www.ted.com/talks/shane_koyczan_to_this_day_for_the_bullied_and_beautiful.html

Natalie Aguirre said...

So sad how guns and violence are so prevalent these days. It shouldn't be an issue we have to worry about for our kids.

Susan Oloier said...

Hate List has been on my TBR list for a while. I need to add End Game.

Christine Rains said...

It worries me for when my son starts in public school. There's a lot of issues in the schools around here.

Trisha said...

I haven't read either of these, but I imagine they'd be fairly chilling reads.

Mark Means said...

Those sound like some powerful books, for sure.

A bit of an uncomfortable issue, but one that always bears discussion.

saniya said...

Great theme. Teen violence is a serious issue.
Hate List sounds like a good read.
Thanks for sharing.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi Rebecca,

It still blows my mind how much violence is in school... Iran we all have had our share if bullying, but nothing as dangerous as fun violence.

When I first saw students going through metal detectors at school, I knew times have certainly changed for the worse.